Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Rites of Passage and the Journey to Manhood


We live in a culture of “lost boys”. Sociologists and cultural anthropologists now tell us that we have entered the era of “emerging adulthood”. That’s just a term for 30 year olds who still live in mom’s basement playing video games. When you look at the data the numbers are strikingly high among young males. One of the reasons for this is that our culture does not define masculinity and we don’t train our boys to become men through a rite of passage.

Through the guidance of some of my mentors I have determined to reverse that trend with my own sons. A few days ago on June 30th I took my oldest son Elijah on an overnight trip for his 12th birthday. The purpose was twofold: 1. Have blast with my 12 year old son, 2. Unveil the 4 year plan for his journey into manhood which will culminate with a ceremony on his 16th birthday.

I laid out 10 core values for him to build his life on and intentionally develop over the next 4 years. Those values are:

  1. Integrity
  2. Honesty
  3. Purity
  4. Self-Discipline
  5. Courage
  6. Humility
  7. Servant-leadership
  8. Loyalty
  9. Kindness
  10. Perseverance

Between now and the time Elijah turns 16, I will enlist the help of older men that I know and that he respects to spend time with him in strategic ways to discuss one or more of these values. On his 16th birthday I will ask those same men to join me as we gather around Elijah and each will give him a final charge and we will welcome him into the circle of manhood with all of the rights and responsibilities that go along with the title.

Over the next 10 weeks I will devote one blog entry to the 10 core values and explain why I chose them for Elijah.

1 comment:

  1. sounds fantastic! Can't wait to read all about it. Lord knows we need more REAL men, REAL followers of Christ, REAL soldiers fighting for the women and children in their lives. Enough of this mamby, pamby I don't want to grow up and be the man God called me to be culture. This is a very real war we're in and we need courageous men on the front lines. I thank God for sending me a man of God that loves Jesus more than anything or anyone and I thank God for your life as a father, faithful husband to Cynthia and as a warrior on the campus of the University of Georgia.

    ReplyDelete