Thursday, February 17, 2011

1,062 Stairs


While everyday is a gift, there are some days that are spectacular. I had one of those days today and wanted to share 5 observations with you and encourage you to take a day off and spend it with your kids. One of the advantages of homeschooling is that on my day off we can take impromptu field trips. Today I took the kids to Tullulah Gorge State Park and was reminded of the following:


1. God is amazingly creative and has a flair for the dramatic. Tullulah Gorge is almost two miles long and nearly 1000 feet deep. As we stood at the bottom looking up I felt a sense of smallness (the kind you feel when you are in the presence of greatness). From the North rim of the gorge we were mesmerized by about 9 vultures who were gliding through the canyon. They are quite magnificent birds when they swoop past you at eye level.

2. Children are born with an innate sense of wonder. My kids are amazed by things that I take for granted. Levi was amazed today that a tree could grow "out of the side of a mountain". I'm not sure what happens to us as adults but one of the saddest things about us is that most of us have lost that sense of awe.

3. It's fun to spend time with your kids. There's not a better sound in the world than your children's laughter. The only thing that rivaled the sound of thousands of gallons of water crashing over a fall was the laughter of my four children as they soaked in the surroundings. One small treat was seeing Elijah hold his sister Abby's hand as they walked down the trail (and I didn't even ask him to do it).

4. Your kids want to spend time with you. No matter what you think or may have read from some alleged "expert" on children, your kids really do want to be with you. Every child has a deep sense to know that they are valued by their parents. One of the ways you can do that is to spend some time with them.

5. 1,062 stairs makes you realize you are only human. There are 1,062 stairs from the top of the north rim to the floor of Tullulah Gorge. Traveling down those stairs is not so difficult but the climb back up is a great reminder. The sweat pouring off of you and the pounding of your heart as you ascend what looks like a never ending staircase remind you that you are not going to live forever. It is in these moments that I find myself the most thankful for moments like today.

There is a day out there in the not too distant future when I will stand face to face with the One who carved Tullulah Gorge into the face of this rock we call earth. I will see the One who gave vultures their magnificent wings. I will finally lay eyes on the God who has richly blessed my life with such remarkable beauty and surrounded me with a beautiful wife and four amazing children who, on days like today, take my breath away. I want to encourage you to take a day off and spend it with your kids it might just take your breath away.

1 comment:

  1. So very true. Even a simple walk in the park can become the "best part of the weekend". It's said that wrt kids, love is spelt T.I.M.E.

    ReplyDelete